Alaska Adoption Information Laws

Alaska Adoption Information Laws


Alaska Adoption Information Laws

Who May Access Information
Citation: Alaska Code § 18.50.500
Identifying information may be accessed by:
· The adopted person who is 18 or older
· The birth parent
The adoptive parent may access nonidentifying information.
Access to Nonidentifying Information
Citation: Alaska Code § 18.50.510
The State registrar may release information regarding the birth parents at the request of an adoptive parent or an adopted person who is 18 or older. Nonidentifying information includes:
· The age of the birth parents at the child’s birth
· The birth parents’ heritage, including ethnic background and tribal membership
· The medical history of the birth parents and blood relatives of the birth parents
· The number of years of school completed by the birth parents when the child was born
· The physical description of the birth parents at the child’s birth, including height, weight, and color of eyes, hair, and skin
· The existence of other children of the birth parents
· The religion of the birth parents
· Whether the birth parent was alive at the time of the adoption
· Other information provided by the birth parents for disclosure to the child, including photos and letters

Mutual Access to Identifying Information Citation: Alaska Code § 18.50.500
The State registrar shall disclose to a birth parent, at that parent’s request, the most current name and address of an adopted child as they appear in the State registrar’s adoption files if the child is 18 or older and has requested in writing that the information be disclosed if ever requested by the birth parent.
Access to Original Birth Certificate
Citation: Alaska Code § 18.50.500
After receiving a request by an adopted person who is 18 or older for the identity of a birth parent, the State regis¬trar shall provide the person with an uncertified copy of the person’s original birth certificate and any change in the birth parent’s name or address attached to the certificate.
An adopted person who is 18 or older, or a birth parent, may submit to the State registrar a notice of change of name or address. The State registrar shall attach the information to the original birth certificate of the adopted person.
Where the Information Can Be Located
State Registrar of Vital Statistics, Department of Health and Social Services

About the author


I found my birth family after 40 years of looking for them. I used DNA tests, software to sort DNA match results, family trees, contacting DNA matches and several website tools. We want to provide you a "one stop shop" with all your resources to help YOU find YOUR family.

Click here to add a comment

Leave a comment: